Monday, March 26, 2012

How to show attribute ValueColumn in Excel 2007?

I'm using Excel 2007 to access my SSAS 2005 cube. For an attribute, I have defined the ValueColumn as the alternative description for the attribute. How can I show the ValueColumn in Excel 2007? Better yet, I want to see if there is any way I can toggle between the NameColumn and ValueColumn.

Thanks,

Mitch

The only way I can think of to expose the MemberValue to excel would be to create a calculated measure, but this would mean you would have to have the value in the data section of the pivot table and it sounds like you want to get it into the row/column labels.

Another approach would be to set this "alternate description" up as an attribute in it's own right that is related to the main attribute, you could then display it using the member properties feature in Excel.

Finally, I have not tried this myself, but you could look into maybe using the translations feature to store the alternate description. You might then be able to write a small macro in Excel that would alter the connection to use a different language that would bring up your alternate description. I would suggest doing a small test before going too far down this path.

|||

Darren,

These are not bad suggestions. The closest solution is to use the member property. It is just that my users are used to toggle between one description and another with their current data warehouse tool, and I'm trying to replace the current tool with SSAS and Excel 2007.

Mitch

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment