Friday, March 30, 2012

How to simpify the Deployment process of a SQL Server Report

Dear all,
I have 5 SQL Servers and totally around 100 databases (1 database for 1
client).
Whenever I finish a Report development on my development server, I will need
to repeat the same task on these 100 databases 100 times ?
Although I can copy the Report Definition File from the development server
to these 100 databases' folders, I still need to do the following tasks :
(1)Create 100 new Visual Studio projects
(2)Enter "Start Item" and "Target Server URL" 100 times
(3)Create 100 new Shared Data Sources
(4)Build and Deploy Visual Studio projects 100 times.
Are there any better or more efficient ways to deploy a new Report in a
multiple servers or multiple databases environment ?
Please help me.
Thanks a lot."cpchan" wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have 5 SQL Servers and totally around 100 databases (1 database for 1
> client).
>
> Whenever I finish a Report development on my development server, I will need
> to repeat the same task on these 100 databases 100 times ?
> Although I can copy the Report Definition File from the development server
> to these 100 databases' folders, I still need to do the following tasks :
>
> (1)Create 100 new Visual Studio projects
> (2)Enter "Start Item" and "Target Server URL" 100 times
> (3)Create 100 new Shared Data Sources
> (4)Build and Deploy Visual Studio projects 100 times.
>
> Are there any better or more efficient ways to deploy a new Report in a
> multiple servers or multiple databases environment ?
>
> Please help me.
> Thanks a lot.
>
Hi
I am not a reporting services expert, you may find more help in the
reporting services newsgroup microsoft.public.sqlserver.reportingsvcs
You can probably do what you require using multiple configurations for a
single project that deploys onto the different servers:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa179464.aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa237242(SQL.80).aspx
You could probably use the command prompt utilities and write a
parameterised script that will deploy to a server
John|||Thanks
"John Bell" <jbellnewsposts@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:679E4454-427D-4734-B5BB-7817C3C11BCB@.microsoft.com...
> "cpchan" wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> >
> > I have 5 SQL Servers and totally around 100 databases (1 database for 1
> > client).
> >
> >
> >
> > Whenever I finish a Report development on my development server, I will
need
> > to repeat the same task on these 100 databases 100 times ?
> > Although I can copy the Report Definition File from the development
server
> > to these 100 databases' folders, I still need to do the following tasks
:
> >
> >
> > (1)Create 100 new Visual Studio projects
> > (2)Enter "Start Item" and "Target Server URL" 100 times
> > (3)Create 100 new Shared Data Sources
> > (4)Build and Deploy Visual Studio projects 100 times.
> >
> >
> >
> > Are there any better or more efficient ways to deploy a new Report in a
> > multiple servers or multiple databases environment ?
> >
> >
> >
> > Please help me.
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> Hi
> I am not a reporting services expert, you may find more help in the
> reporting services newsgroup microsoft.public.sqlserver.reportingsvcs
> You can probably do what you require using multiple configurations for a
> single project that deploys onto the different servers:
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa179464.aspx
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa237242(SQL.80).aspx
> You could probably use the command prompt utilities and write a
> parameterised script that will deploy to a server
> John

No comments:

Post a Comment