Friday, March 30, 2012

How to shrink a SQL Server 7 device

Hi,
I have a seven year old SQL Server that has a 10GB Data Partition. Our main
DB is only around 6.5 GB but for some reason, the device size is almost 9GB.
The transaction log also has a lot of free space but but it is pretty small
so I'm not concerned.
If I remember correctly, I restarted the SQL Server last time and when the
server came up, the free space was truncated but I'm just wondering if
there's a way to do this without taking the DB offline.
I'm not sure why the datafile got so big in the first place as i checked the
backup logs and didn't see any failures.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Ryan
http://www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_dont_shrink.asp
"Ryan Gaudet" <RyanGaudet@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2A4994B8-5C55-4805-AA34-D0E8BA9DBC4B@.microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I have a seven year old SQL Server that has a 10GB Data Partition. Our
> main
> DB is only around 6.5 GB but for some reason, the device size is almost
> 9GB.
> The transaction log also has a lot of free space but but it is pretty
> small
> so I'm not concerned.
> If I remember correctly, I restarted the SQL Server last time and when the
> server came up, the free space was truncated but I'm just wondering if
> there's a way to do this without taking the DB offline.
> I'm not sure why the datafile got so big in the first place as i checked
> the
> backup logs and didn't see any failures.
> Thanks for any suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment